The Bible teaches that the Church is the whole company of believers in Christ, those who have repented of their sin and have received the Lord Jesus Christ by faith, and who have personally committed their lives to Him as their Lord and Saviour (1 John 1:9; John 1:12; Eph 2:19-22). Membership of a local church is only appropriate for those who have taken this step of faith and commitment.
Scripture also teaches that a believer should be baptised (Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:38).
Membership also involves other responsibilities:-
- Regular attendance at Sunday Worship (Acts 20:7; Heb. 10:25).
- Regular personal prayer and Bible Study (2 Tim. 3:15-17; Phil 4:6).
- Regular attendance, when possible, at the main weekday meeting of the church for prayer, Bible Study and fellowship (Acts 1:14, 2:42).
- Sharing in the life, work and witness of the local church (Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 15:58).
- Regular giving to the local church and the Lord’s work in general (1 Cor. 16:2; 2 Cor. 9:6-7).
- The showing of Christian love and concern, both for the members of the church family and for the community at large (John 13:35; 1 Thess. 3:12).
- An endeavour to live a life consistent with the faith we profess (Rom. 6:1-2; Eph. 4:1).
- Regular attendance at the Lord’s Supper
The Statement of faith in the Rules has been adopted as the doctrinal basis to which applicants for membership of Emmanuel Evangelical Church (Baptist) Newport are asked to give their wholehearted assent. Should you wish to discuss membership or any related issues, please contact the Minister(s) or one of the Church Officers.